10 Best: Go Green!
1. In-season traffic got you down? Try EGo Cycle. Faster than a 10-speed but (much) slower than a Harley, these retro-spiffy electric beauties top out at 23 mph. Front suspension and a wide foot platform make for a comfy ride, and front disc brakes ensure responsive stopping. But wear your helmet; these babies belong on the road, not the sidewalk. Colors include "very well red" and "black tie." $999 at Golf & Electric Vehicles, 17135 Jean St., Fort Myers. (239) 267-8555.
2. Keep your clothes on and still enjoy the results of a full-body massage with Thai Bodywork, a complex sequence of soft tissue pressing, stretching, twisting and joint manipulation. Benefits include relief from stiffness, increased flexibility and positive energy flow, and a better balance within the body. $95 for a 90-minute session at Health & Harmony Center, 15951 McGregor Blvd., Suite 1-A, Fort Myers. (239) 433-5995.
3. Ecotourism helps sustain economies in the areas hardest hit by the tsunami. To help the region rebuild, sign on for one of Abercrombie & Kent's luxury jaunts through India or Thailand. Accommodations are as high-end as the transportation-via executive coaches, town cars and private air charters. From $2,900-$7,500 at Betty Maclean Travel, 4501 Tamiami Trail N., Suite 418, Naples. (239) 513-0333 or (800) 865-8111.
4. Get your kids or grandkids on the greener path with the Park Ranger doll. These foot-high evironmental defenders (both male and female) wear authentic ranger garb with clever accessories that include binoculars, a radio, canteen, fleece jacket and official park ranger hat. As role models go, they sure beat Barbie and Ken. $10.99 at Caribbean Gardens' gift shop, 1590 Goodlette-Frank Road, Naples. (239) 262-5409, ext. 134.
5. Fashionistas with sustainable style are carrying the RoadFlair Cyclone Purse from Little Earth Productions. A real Florida license plate is wrapped around two four-inch chrome hubcaps, then adorned by hand with hundreds of Swarovski crystals. A chain, felt lining, elastic lipstick holder and pavé crystal bottle-cap closure add to the allure. Each comes with a signed and numbered certificate of authenticity. $169 at The Name Game, 720 Fifth Ave. S., Naples. (239) 434-2562.
6. To make a lasting impression at your next charity event or family reunion, consider environmentally friendly T-shirts with customized artwork. North Fort Myers' T-shirts for Events screen-prints with all-natural vegetable-based textile ink on organic cotton T-shirts and other accessories. Prices vary by order. 8413 Littleton Road, North Fort Myers. (239) 995-7680. www.t-shirtsforevents.com.
7. Ditch that gas-guzzling, ozone-eating monster for Ford's new hybrid Escape XLS 2.3L. The first SUV to run on a combination of gas and electricity, it features all the same sporty attributes of the regular Escape; and it gets an impressive 50-60 miles per gallon versus the typical 15-20 mpg. $26,970-$28,585 at Sam Galloway Ford, 1800 Boy Scout Drive, Fort Myers. (239) 936-2193.
8. Peruvian-born Nicario Jimenez specializes in retablos, an ancient Spanish folk art. The Naples-based artist creates striking, colorful three-dimensional narrative scenes with tiny figurines made from a doughy mixture of ground potatoes and gypsum powder. Thousands of years ago, these portable shrines to Catholic saints were carried by Spanish priests, but Jimenez goes beyond religious themes to tackle such secular issues as immigration woes and urban despair. www.retablosnicario.com.
9. Southern Organics buys produce from farmers, co-ops and distributors and delivers it to your door every week. It's all USDA Certified Organic, so no chemicals were used in growing or
harvesting. You get what's freshest and in season (weekly lists are posted on the Web site); and boxes come in small, medium and large to fit the size of your family and appetite. $39.99 for a large box. Southern Organics, 5320 Summerwind Drive, Suite 101, Naples. (239) 596-5328. www.southernorganics.com.
10. Remove makeup and keep your face radiant with Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Milk, part of an organic skin-care line developed by an enviro-savvy European who's been creating healthy cosmetics for more than 40 years. With its fermented grain extract, jojoba and sweet almond oil, this cleanser is a favorite of Brad and Jen (separately or together), Angelina, and other celebs. $30.95 for a 4.9-ounce bottle at Sphere, 758 12th Ave. S., Naples. (239) 261-5557.