I’m bewildered by the different styles, washes and cuts of jeans. What should I look for and avoid?
Consider first your body shape. Are you:
Curvy? Look for styles that fit your hips, and, if necessary, have the waistband taken in to fi t your waist. A little bit of stretch is helpful, as is a dark wash. Go for a straight or slightly flared leg, and avoid cuts that are very tapered or narrow. Pear-shaped? Try a lower-rise jean in a dark wash with straight-cut legs that fall from the widest point of your hip, or a boot-cut style to balance your silhouette. Avoid back pockets that are embellished or widely spaced.
Apple-shaped? Jeans with a high rise and those with a low rise will cut across you at the wrong point, so opt for a mid-rise style with an unfussy waistband to smooth your mid-section. Even though you may have slender legs, avoid very narrow jeans—they’ll make you appear top heavy.
Boyish figure? Make the most of your gamine, straight shape and go for a slimmer, tighter fit. Washes that have lightened areas around the thighs and knees may help to give the appearance of more curves.
Have a question for Cheryl? Send it to email@example.com.
WHAT TO WEAR: The Great Gatsby Gala for Opera Naples
This roaring ’20s-themed fundraising event takes place on March 19 at a private club in Port Royal. The attire is formal (black tie), although that needs not mean a full-length gown for ladies. It would be fitting to reference something from the fabulous Jazz Age, although the challenge is how to give a stylish acknowledgement to the era rather than appearing to be in full-on costume. So, without resorting to the predictability of a head band and feather, here are some ideas to channel your inner flapper:
• a long evening skirt or glamorous pants with knife-edged pleats
• wide palazzo pants in fl uid silks
• fringed details on skirt hems, clutch bags and accessories
• anything jade, especially jewelry
• geometric Art Deco shapes or prints
• long (and I mean l-o-n-g), multiple strands of pearls
• a feather boa
• a delicate beaded or crocheted cloche hat For the truly dedicated, some searching online or in Southwest Florida’s many antique stores might result in a beautiful vintage piece. If you’re still unsure, catching up on a few episodes of the current season of Downton Abbey will steer you in the right direction.