Ikarian Baked Rosemary Chickpeas
1 pound chickpeas, soaked overnight, rinsed, peeled and dried (or four 15-ounce cans low-sodium chickpeas, drained)
1 bulb garlic, core removed
½ cup fresh rosemary leaves, stems removed
5 small red onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
¼ cup grape syrup (may substitute with 2 tablespoons brown sugar, maple syrup or honey)
Juice of two lemons, plus zest
Salt and pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- If using dried chickpeas: Drain chickpeas from soaking water; boil in fresh water for about 20 minutes, or until soft. Drain and then transfer to a clay pot or heavy baking dish. If using canned chickpeas: Bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Pour boiling water over chickpeas so the beans are just covered.
- Stir in garlic and rosemary leaves.
- Using your hands, massage onions with extra-virgin olive oil until slightly softened.
- Add onions and grape syrup to the chickpeas, mix to combine.
- Cover the pot with foil and bake for one hour; remove cover and bake for another 30 minutes—stirring if needed.
- Top with a drizzle of olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste.