Walnut “Meat” Loaf
1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
2 cups walnuts, finely ground
½ cup instant oats, coarsely ground in food processor
2 large onions, minced
2 celery stalks, minced
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 tablespoon garlic powder
¼ cup almond or soy milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously oil a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- Combine both types of breadcrumbs, ground walnuts and oats in a large bowl.
- Pulse onions, celery, ketchup and 2 tablespoons of oil in a food processor, until broken down but not completely liquified.
- Add wet ingredients to dry mixture, along with poultry seasoning, garlic powder and milk. Mix until well moistened. (Add more milk if it’s not moist enough.)
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and cover with foil. Bake for 70 minutes and remove foil. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with gravy or ketchup.