Residents can again bask in the tranquil landscapes at Naples Botanical Garden, which is now open to the public. During the last few months of the safer-at-home order, the Garden staff implemented new guidelines to ensure guests’ safety.
It was also enough time for the Garden to perfect a light cocktail celebrating the delicious fruits that Florida famously yields in the summertime. Made with ingredients sourced from the grounds, the drink—concocted by chef Jack Raben—seamlessly blends brisk pineapple with lime and hints of sweet coconut rum. You won’t find the drink on the menu in Fogg Cafe, so the team shared the exclusive recipe to help you recreate the tropical libation at home.
What you’ll need: Quantities are listed according to batch size below.
- Oak & Palm Coconut Rum (or any coconut rum)
- Nellie and Joe’s Famous Key West Lime Juice (or any lime juice, fresh-squeezed or packaged)
- Mint sprigs
- Ginger ale
- Club soda
- Pineapple juice
- Pineapple, peeled and diced with core removed
- Mint simple syrup, recipe below
Mint simple syrup:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 6 mint sprigs (leaves and stems)
Directions for simple syrup:
- Simmer all together until sugar is dissolved.
- Let steep for 10 minutes, strain, cool and reserve.
For a single serving:
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons mint simple syrup
- 2 ounces coconut rum
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 ounces ginger ale
- 2 ounces club soda
- 1 lime wedge
- In a shaker, muddle mint leaves with the mint simple syrup.
- Add ice, rum and pineapple juice.
- Shake and pour into a tall rocks glass.
- Top with club soda and ginger ale.
- Garnish with mint or lime wedge.
For a pitcher:
- 1 pineapple, peeled and diced with core removed
- ½ cup mint simple syrup
- ¼ cup key lime juice or 3 limes juiced
- 375 ml coconut rum
- 1 can club soda
- 1 can ginger ale
- 1 lime, sliced for garnish
- Blend pineapple, mint simple syrup and limes (or lime juice).
- Add to a pitcher with ice, then add coconut rum, club soda and ginger ale.
- Stir and serve.
- Garnish with pineapple slices, limes and mint.