Southwest Florida is saddling up for the big event locally with viewing parties. And of course, if you opt for an at-home viewing, we’ve got the perfect recipe for the iconic Derby-day drink that dates back to the early days at the historic Churchill Downs track that has famously hosted the event: the mint julep. This version of the sweet and refreshing libation uses bourbon from the List Distillery in Fort Myers.
What you’ll need:
- 3 oz. Mr. Toms Bourbon (for a twist to this classic recipe, substitute with Mr. Tom’s Habanero Honey Whiskey)
- ¼ oz. simple syrup
- 8-10 mint leaves
- 3 mint sprigs, far garnish
What to do:
- Combine bourbon, syrup, and mint leaves in a mixing glass.
- Lightly muddle mint leaves
- Strain contents into glass filled with crushed ice
- Garnish with 3 generous sprigs of mint and serve
*TIP: Make sure to slap mint and insert straw into ice near mint.