Jun 13, 201210:30 PMPower Shopper
Cheryl Lampard, founder of Style Matters International, finds great buys, discusses the latest styles and answers your questions
Fabulous Father's Day
Father’s Day was founded in 1910, two years after the successful introduction of Mother’s Day, to celebrate fathers and honor their role in society. While mothers are showered with thoughtful gifts, poor old dads tend to be the butt of everyone’s jokes, with gifts to match. A couple of years ago a poll by a national newspaper revealed that two of the top five most unwanted Father’s Day gifts were novelty ties and socks with silly slogans. (The No.1 item in the poll, which also qualified as the most confusing, was a T-shirt sporting a picture of Darth Vader with the caption “World’s Greatest Dad”—go figure.)
So, with Father’s Day on Sunday, here are my gift picks for dads which, depending on his style, are sure to please:
- For action-man dad, some bright new swim shorts by Vilbrequin (from Nordstrom).
- For everyday dad, a combined money clip and card case in textured leather from Tumi.
- For techy dad, an iPad from the Apple store. (If he’s not so tech-savvy, reserve a place for him on one of the free in-store workshops as well.)
- For car-crazy dad, the book Speed, Style & Beauty, detailing dream machines from Ralph Lauren’s car collection.
- Finally, for the dad who has everything (except polo shirts, obviously), Brooks Brothers has a special boxed set of them—in all 44 colors they produce.
Nordstrom, Tumi, Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers stores; Waterside, Naples. Apple Stores, Waterside, Naples and Coconut Point, Estero.